Skin Cancer Prevention: New Patented Sunscreen Protects Your Skin
May is Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month and Trufora is dedicated to raising awareness for this disease that affects approximately 3.3 million people in the U.S.¹ Ultraviolet radiation or UV rays are the number one cause of premature skin aging as well as skin cancer.
The most dangerous form of skin cancer is melanoma, affecting more than 200,000 people in the U.S. each year. “These cancerous growths develop when unrepaired DNA damage to skin cells (most often caused by ultraviolet radiation from sunshine or tanning beds) triggers mutations (genetic defects) that lead the skin cells to multiply rapidly and form malignant tumors.” - Skin Cancer Foundation
Key facts about skin cancer
- Skin cancer is the most common cancer in America.
- There are two main types of skin cancer: melanoma and keratinocyte.
- Keratinocyte has two main subtypes of cancer: basal cell carcinoma (BCC) and squamous cell carcinoma (SCC).
- BCC is the most common type of skin cancer.
- Melanoma is the most serious type of skin cancer and develops in the same skin cells that create moles
- One person may have multiple different types and/or cases of skin cancer.²
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), melanoma rates have doubled over the last three decades. But did you know that melanoma is preventable and curable? When melanoma is recognized and treated early, it is almost always curable.
Sunscreen Gene may protect against skin cancer
A new study³ has identified a “sunscreen gene” that may help protect against skin cancer. Researchers at the University of Southern California found that the 'UV radiation Resistance Associated Gene' is a tumor suppressor for skin cancer. "People who have the mutated UV-resistant gene or low levels of the UV-resistant gene may be at higher risk of melanoma or other skin cancers, especially if they go sunbathing or tanning frequently," said study senior author Chengyu Liang, an associate professor of molecular microbiology and immunology at the University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine. "Our study suggests that the UV-resistant gene may serve as a biomarker for skin cancer prevention."
For more information on the sunscreen gene findings, please read the May 19 journal issue of Molecular Cell.
While more research is needed to further understand the UV-resistant gene, what we do know is that more than 90% of melanoma skin cancers are caused by cell damage from UV radiation exposure. Hence it is very important to protect our skin against the harmful radiation.
How to protect against and prevent skin cancer
- Check for weird moles (asymmetrical, jagged/irregular border, uneven color, size is larger than a pea, evolving/changing in the past few months).4
- Cover up when outside. Even during winter months, follow these winter anti-aging skin care tips to protect against exposure to UV radiation.
- Always use a high quality, broad spectrum sunscreen with physical UV protection, such as the patented formulation Trufora® Titanium Day Cream SPF 30 Broad Spectrum Sunscreen.
- Stay away from frequenting tanning beds
Our commitment to healthy skin and protection against environmental exposure
Trufora Titanium Day Cream SPF 30 uses titanium dioxide to provide very high physical barrier UV protection from the sun’s damaging rays.
“We built our company with a focus on delivering truly unique, groundbreaking skincare products that utilize the safest and most effective ingredients in a product line that is attainable for all women,” said Sara Sweeney, Founder and CEO of Truth Aesthetics.
“The Broad Spectrum Sunscreen Patent is a significant example of how we are staying true to our mission. We have additional Patents pending on several Trufora products further emphasizing how unique and differentiated the Trufora brand is. We are extremely pleased that our Broad Spectrum Sunscreen Patent has been issued, and plan on utilizing the Patent with new Trufora formulations that are currently in development. These products offer significant skin health benefits to our customers, and the feedback we have received on the Trufora products has been incredible. Women finally have an option that lets them achieve beautiful, healthy skin without compromise.”